Friday 14 January 2011

EVALUATION....

Question One: In What Way Does Your Media Product Use, Develop Or Challenge Forms And Conventions Of Real Media Products.?

When looking at the conventions of Indie Pop genre i found that my final product of a music video, digipak and advertisement, all challenge and conform to the conventional ideas. The camera angles, mise-en-scene, costume and editing all conform to these conventional ideas, with in Indie Pop music products the costume is usually colourful, funky and is seen as quirky to most audiences i think i continued this through out my product to help them relate to our target audience, also the editing in the video was fast, smooth and match the song lyrics.



Other aspects of my product which matched the conventional themes of Indie Pop, was the fact that our music video focused solely on the artist 'Aimee Starr' this is very common in Indie Pop videos 'Florence & the machines' video are a good example of this especially in her video 'Kiss with a fist'.

Kiss with a fist


Kiss with a fist

Other artists that influenced us when planning and making our music video, digipak & advertisement were Lily Allen & Kate Nash, as well as Florence & the machine..









We tried to follow the conventions of the Indie Pop genre by following the example set by these artists. we did this by using different costume and location changes, also by following a quick editing style to the beat. We also incorporated text which was done in Kate Nash's video 'Do Wah Do'  










Lily Allen's dress sense influenced with the converse and dresses. This has also become a trend among other celebrities but as Lily Allen related to our genre we used her to influence us.








Question Two: How Effective Is The Combination Of Your Main Product (VIDEO) And Ancillary Texts (DIGIPAK AND ADVERTISEMENT).?












Question Three: How Did You Use Media Technologies In The Construction And Research, Planning And Evaluation Stages.?






Filming Equipment..
















While filming our music video, we used a JVC GY-HM100e, this was able to store 2 memory cards which we record on. From this we was able to upload our footage easily using card readers, onto our Macs. Which enabled us to import and create a file on Final Cut Pro were we was able to create our video.
When filming we also filmed using Green Screen,  this was so we were able to change the background. Although we used handheld for nearly all our shots, but a few did require us to use the tripod (Lower Angle Shots)






Photoshop.. 


I used photoshop to create my mock up and final product of my Digipak & Advertisement. I found it easy to use and I quickly learnt how to use it in able to produce my Digipak and Advertisement.




I used photoshop to help manipulate my pictures, for example i removed the background of my original picture in order to help me have a white background so it was easy for me to add them to my front and back cover. I was also able to crop and change the size according to how i wanted the image place on my digipak panels.

 I also used photoshop in order to create my graphic images of the heart & crown. I got the idea of using a simple graphic to help represent my Artist and this particular album & tour, when learning how to use photoshop and experimenting with the custom shapes tool, from this i found it matched the title of my Album perfectly.

These are some screen shots of me piecing my final digipak together...


Final Cut Pro..


When making our video we used Final Cut Pro in order to piece it together, using Final Cut enabled us to design our video the way we wanted to, we was able to add text, use Green Screen (Chroma Key), add transition and effect to different clips.

The first thing we did using Final Cut Pro was making animatic storyboard, this was to help us think of the narrative and the type of shots we were going to be using. We made this by taking pictures and uploading them onto final cut as well as the song 'Oh No!' by Marina & the Diamonds, from this we organised the pictures into making a static picture film...








 We started off using Final Cut Pro by selecting clips from our footage that we could use from this we made a new project where we imported all the clips into a sequence from this we followed a process of marking all the key moments of the song and to the beat....



Step One

Step Two..
Step Three
















We then place down our clips onto the time line where we cut and move around the clips to where we wanted them. Certain ideas that we had made us have to reposition and resize our clips for example our beginning shot we had four different clips playing at the same time. We also used final cur pro to add text to our video we added the word 'Die, Live & Fail' to amplify them and we thought it also matched the conventions of our genre to make it animatic & bubbly...
Step Four & Five
Step Six

Example of Step Six
Step Seven


We also used the 'Chroma Key' effect on our Green screen shots, this enabled us to chose different backgrounds and place our artist in front of them, using 'Chroma Key' helped us to cancel out all the green background in the shot which made the background we chose to come forward and be the background for this clip. Doing this we had to be careful as sometimes when trying to cancel out all the green it lead us to cancel out some of our artist which was not good, as she was invisible...
Step Eight
Example Of Step Eight
Example Of Step Eight





INTERNET..


While researching for my video, i mainly use Youtube to help me think of ideas, and learn the basic of making a video. Using Youtube, we was able to find artist we wanted to use and narrow it down to our final choice of 'Marina & the Diamonds'.



 I also used Google to help me research such things as Genre, the original artist 'Marina & the Diamonds',  style (Clothing..), record labels information, and our target audience, in order to help us produce our own artist 'AIMEE STARR'. 


Within using Google I also used Wikipedia to help me with my research.




Vimeo...


We used vimeo to upload our final video and to look at ex-students work. this helped us to see how to get the idea of how a music video should work from this we were also able to identify problems and hopefully not make similar mistakes when making our own video.


Blogger..




During all the stages of making my product, (Video, Digipak and Advert). Blogger helped me with the research and planning while creating my products, it also helped me with making my evaluation. Using blogger i was able to look back on my planning and research when making my video, digipak and advertisement, i was also able to look at ex-students work which help me in producing my products to my best ability.








Question Four: What Have You Learned From Your Audience Feedback.?





1 comment:

  1. Charlotte,

    Your deadline for the evaluation draft was yesterday and you have not met this. Only one question completed of four. You have completed question three so I will provide feedback on this. When you talk about the technology ensure that you explain not just what you used but how you used it, for all the technolgy you used including the camera and final cut pro (more detail is needed).

    Also when typing I ensure it is a capital letter.

    Still much to be done.

    Jo Mewse

    Jo

    ReplyDelete